RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sylvia Fowles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icey23

PostPosted: 01/17/06 8:48 pm    ::: Sylvia Fowles Reply Reply with quote

When they double and triple team you. JUST DUNK ON THEM

PostPosted: 01/17/06 8:54 pm    ::: Re: Sylvia Fowles Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:

No shit!

Isn't that kid like 8 feet tall?

icey23

PostPosted: 01/17/06 8:59 pm    ::: Re: Sylvia Fowles Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
icey23 wrote:

No shit!

Isn't that kid like 8 feet tall?

She look it. She only 6'6 tho Shocked

PostPosted: 01/18/06 3:11 pm    ::: Re: Sylvia Fowles Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:

But make sure you only do it when I'm watching! Smile

Mathies to LA 2013
dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/18/06 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was surprised at how often she gets the ball out past the 3 point line and loiters outside. She's gotta down low and work it.

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/18/06 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I was surprised at how often she gets the ball out past the 3 point line and loiters outside. She's gotta down low and work it.

Does she have a jumpshot? I've seen her play several times and I've never noticed it.
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/18/06 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
She's gotta down low and work it.

And put her thang down, flip it, and reverse it?

[/mark_jones_moment] Exclamation

Mathies to LA 2013
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/18/06 3:22 pm    ::: Re: Sylvia Fowles Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:

I thought she and another player were going to throwing down all season?

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/18/06 3:23 pm    ::: Re: Sylvia Fowles Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
icey23 wrote:

I thought she and another player were going to throwing down all season?

Yes.

I don't think it's as simple as it's made out to be. I'd be more impressed if she was double or triple teamed, she could find the open player.

Last edited by Keegan on 01/18/06 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/18/06 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Does she have a jumpshot? I've seen her play several times and I've never noticed it.

not yet; she's got a very nice array of power moves. Excellent drop step, not a walking when either, a real one. She doesn't have range yet though.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/18/06 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, she has range like Shaq has range. (None.) I'm guessing that she never will have range, but that's fine with me -- she should stay inside.

Agreed that the biggest thing she needs to work on is passing out of the post (and out of double-teams).

She is an absolute rebounding monster. I couldn't believe some of the rebounds she got in the UConn game. She can get them even when she doesn't have good position.

She wasn't able to score as much as she should have in that game. Largely because she didn't get the ball enough. I blame the LSU guards for that -- it's not like it's that hard to get her the ball. (I do credit UConn for a good job with denial.... but still...)

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/18/06 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
yeah, she has range like Shaq has range. (None.) I'm guessing that she never will have range, but that's fine with me -- she should stay inside.

Agreed that the biggest thing she needs to work on is passing out of the post (and out of double-teams).

She is an absolute rebounding monster. I couldn't believe some of the rebounds she got in the UConn game. She can get them even when she doesn't have good position.

She wasn't able to score as much as she should have in that game. Largely because she didn't get the ball enough. I blame the LSU guards for that -- it's not like it's that hard to get her the ball. (I do credit UConn for a good job with denial.... but still...)

I agree WH. And when she did get the ball, it wasn't close enough to do that much with it. It was good defense, but poor offensive execution as well.

I hold to my prediction; Fowles will throw one down before Parker does.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/18/06 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:

I agree WH. And when she did get the ball, it wasn't close enough to do that much with it. It was good defense, but poor offensive execution as well.

How about this prediction: Tina Charles or Amber Harris will befor either of them.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/18/06 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:

How about this prediction: Tina Charles or Amber Harris will befor either of them.

HS or College game?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/18/06 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:

HS or College game?

College.

I actually don't necessarily think that they will, but I pretty much have an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude toward any of these dunk extravaganzas.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/18/06 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fowles was on her way to a dunk in the Minnesota game. It was a meaningless late-game play, Augustus got a steal, and Fowles ran out. She was looking for it... but Brittany Davis (hustling, because she doesn't get many minutes) ran back and fouled her.

I was half happy that we didn't get dunked on... but half disappointed.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/18/06 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
Fowles was on her way to a dunk in the Minnesota game. It was a meaningless late-game play, Augustus got a steal, and Fowles ran out. She was looking for it... but Brittany Davis (hustling, because she doesn't get many minutes) ran back and fouled her.

I was half happy that we didn't get dunked on... but half disappointed.

And Parker was on her way to a dunk in the UConn game and changed her mind and ended up missing a lay-up. Either way, the dunks haven't happened as people were going on and on that they would.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/18/06 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think a large part of Fowles' problem against UConn was that Barb Turner kept pushing her into spots where she could not get the type of shots she prefers. I remember early in the game she tried to duck back and over Turner and hit the bottom of the backboard. She was frustrated by Barb because she was much more than swarmed, she was being moved around. It was impressive.

PostPosted: 01/18/06 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
I think a large part of Fowles' problem against UConn was that Barb Turner kept pushing her into spots where she could not get the type of shots she prefers. I remember early in the game she tried to duck back and over Turner and hit the bottom of the backboard. She was frustrated by Barb because she was much more than swarmed, she was being moved around. It was impressive.

Speaking of that, I wonder what people think of Turner still being too small to play in the WNBA.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/18/06 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Alepp03 wrote:

Speaking of that, I wonder what people think of Turner still being too small to play in the WNBA.

It isn't that she is too small...it is what position she will play. How many 5-11 posts have been successful in the WNBA? Latasha Byears is one. Adia Barnes hung on (she was a post in college, before moving to the wing in the WNBA). But it has not worked for players like LaQuanda Barksdale, Tracey Reid (once the ABL players came into the league), etc.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 01/18/06 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever happened to Tracey Reid?

I don't want Parker to dunk, at least not until her ankle is 100%. It ain't worth it.

O.G.

PostPosted: 01/18/06 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
[And put her thang down, flip it, and reverse it?

[/mark_jones_moment] Exclamation

Missy Elliott begs to differ.

icey23

PostPosted: 01/18/06 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Keegan wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

not yet; she's got a very nice array of power moves. Excellent drop step, not a walking when either, a real one. She doesn't have range yet though.

I saw Fowles shoot a jumpshot Shocked. She can handel the rock too.
This is Fowles scouting report from HS.
Quote:
#64: Sylvia Fowles, Miami Edison (FLA) - 6'3" (2004) PHOTO

Extremely powerful and athletic. Called for the ball in commanding fashion. Good dribbler for her height. An aggressive shooter with a fine turnaround move. Although her release could use some polishing, Sylvia did sink some outside shots when opponents lost track of her after she floated away from the basket. Hustled to regain control when she had the ball slapped out of her hands. Relentless rebounder who once grabbed an offensive carom, had her put-back attempt blocked, but fought to regain possession. Looks for best passing opportunity after taking the ball off the defensive board. When not on offense, Sylvia can anticipate a pass and knock the ball away from its intended recipient. Tremendous upside, to coin a buzzphrase.

PostPosted: 01/18/06 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

O.G. wrote:
Missy Elliott begs to differ.

True. Let's hope Mark doesn't try to take any catchy hooks from Missy like the Milkshake hook he borrowed from Kelis.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: