RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Virginia Cavaliers 10-1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ridor

PostPosted: 01/03/06 4:25 pm    ::: Virginia Cavaliers 10-1 Reply Reply with quote

Virginia Cavaliers is now 10-1 after its 79-63 win over Middle Tennessee State, its best start since 1991-92 season. I do not remember how fast the Cavaliers get to win 10 games in a short time like this one.

Up next is Marquette which is very interesting, to say the least.

Virginia's shooting guard, Brenna McGuire will play in the gymnasium named after her grandfather, Al McGuire. Let's hope that Al's mysticism helps Brenna to explode for 30 or so against the 10-1 Marquette team as well.

Virginia Tech is overrated. And they lost to NC State badly last night. I preferred where the Cavaliers are as of now: underrated, unranked and underdogs.

Just wait and see. The Cavaliers will do very well. In the next 6 games after Marquette, they will face Florida State, NC State, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Miami and Boston College.

By then, I predict Virginia will be 16-2 by then.

Cheers,

R-

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/04/06 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Virginia on the win at Marquette tonight. They look like a fine team and did a great job of taking Marquette out of its game tonight. Things don't get any easier for Marquette as they host DePaul Saturday, travel to Notre Dame Tuesday and then goto Syracuse next Saturday (Syracuse is the worst team of that bunch but it's always tough on the road).

hoos#1

PostPosted: 01/06/06 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GO HOOS!!!!!! Finally a good start!!! I have been a fan forever and miss the winning years!! Someone please help me out though.......WHY IS BRENNA MCGUIRE still in the STARTING LINE-UP!!! She has been horrible...last season and this season!! Things are going to toughen up once ACC play starts on Sunday.....and if anyone wants to see wins.....or big upseys on Duke, UNC, or Maryland......then Debbie needs to start playing the right people!!!!
If you've gone to any games and know anything about the sport of basketball, than you know this should be the starting 5:
Nae at the 1
Takeisha at the 2
Sardin at the 3
Lyndra Littles at the 4************
Williams at the 5....

someone tell me if i am wrong.....but here is how i see it!!!!
UVA needs a stronger post game. THEY have all the players, but the guards don't get them the ball enough!! Nae is the only 1 who looks to get them the ball!!!! Keisha, BRENNA especially, and Deneisha ALL LOOK TO SHOOT TO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone wants to see UVA win the big games than someone needs to tell Debbie to get it in the paint more. THEY WILL WIN FROM THE INSIDE OUT!!!! Here are a few of my frustrations:

Guards shoot way to much......VERY SELFISH!!!

Sardin should be back at the 3 where she can play her best game.....slashing baseline, shootng her 12 foot jumpers and grabbing offside boards!!! She has done a great job filling in at the four ........but why do that when you have the best freshman in the ACC in LYNDRA LITTLES...

If LYNDRA isn't freshman player of the year it is because Debbie doesn't play her enough!! Why not play the person on your team that will get EVERY REBOUND POSSIBLE!!!!

Debbie doesn't give Williams enough credit!!! Why does she take her out first in every game even when she is the one who usually scores the first 4 or 6 points???

I don't understand why debbie subs in lyndra for williams, then williams for sardin, then sardin for little.....same thing everygame, like clockwork.
This is so frustraing because in my opinion, they are the core of the team with Nae. Those 3 are the best rebounders of the team, and should be the top 3 scorers every game, but instead debbie wastes WAY TOO many minutes on Brenna and the other guards. Keisha is the best one for the 2 spot, but she needs to settle down and not shoot to much.....she forces to many shots. She needs to look to give it up to the posts more. If they have nothing than they will give it back to her.

WHY DOES DEBBIE BABY BRENNA SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brenna has been shooting TERRIBLE....can someone plaese tell Debbie!!!!! SHE CRIES AND HANGS HER HEAD ALL OF THE TIME. I don't understand why she is second in minutes, but she is playng so bad!!! What is Debbie thinking.

The artilcle on uvasports.com was to funny. It talked about the game and at the bottom, the only comment Debbie made about the game was "I thought Brenna played great tonight"...........blah blah blah......that is BULL!!! She played poorly. Debbie shouldn't baby her like she does.

So......if anyone has any answers...please let me know. I want UVA to upset some teams.......but I have a feeling they aren't going to get it done if Debbie doesn't start acting like the legendary coach she is suppost to be. Brenna and the other gueards should be sitting more and Sardin is moved to the 3, Lyndra to the 4, and Williams to the 5...and they don't come out unless they are in foul trouble or need a breather!!! COME ON ASSISTANTS!!!!!!, I KNOW YOU SEE IT SO SPEAK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/07/06 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what Debbie and Nae said earlier in the season, Brenna's overall game has improved. The most telling stats are increased rebounding and assists. Also, I think she's improved in putting the ball on the floor and driving to the hole. Now whether she does enough dribble-drive has yet to be determined, as I haven't seen UVa play this season. However, the main reason why Brenna remains on the court is because she's the biggest 3-point threat on the team as evidenced by the number of threes she takes per game. McGuire leads the team in 3-pointers made.

I also wonder why Debbie won't put Littles into the starting line-up. I can't imagine what her stats would look like if she actually played for more than 20 minutes per game. She's a rebounding monster who currently leads all freshmen in rebounds per game and offensive boards per game. I'd imagine that a front court consisting of Sardin-Littles-Williams would be just as successful as the current Granberry-Sardin-Williams look.

I believe that Littles should start, but the reason why she doesn't start is due to lack of depth at the forward position. UVa needs fresh bodies in the post; thus, Sardin has to play down low (with Williams) and Littles still comes off the bench. There's plenty of depth at the guard/wing positions, so moving Sardin to the wing won't serve much of a purpose.

I won't say that Brenna's "bad", but she needs to show improvement soon. Nae stepped up huge this year and, as of Friday, she is among the leaders in the ACC in assists per game and steals per game. She's also a much improved foul shooter and three-point shooter. I'd like to see Brenna show off the improvements she's made in her game. Smile

Mathies to LA 2013
ridor

PostPosted: 01/07/06 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I talked a little with Littles, she said that she preferred to come off the bench because she wanted to psyche herself. More power to her. She is explosive when she gets off the bench. I would not change anything about that!

Otherwise, Brenna seems to perform much better than last year. But some shots are questionable. Someone complained that the guards shot too much. Actually, last year, they did not shoot enough, and they started off with 9-3 record. This year, 11-1. But in February 2005, they collapsed by going 3-4. I am expecting UVA to go 6-2 in February.

The truth is that I am hoping for Virginia to finish 23-4 for the season.

R-

pilight

PostPosted: 01/08/06 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cavs got drubbed by Florida State today

PostPosted: 01/09/06 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To be young these days, you gotta have one of these games where your shooting goes very cold.

Sad

Seminoles suck.

R-

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/09/06 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Florida State played with desperation (coming off two road thrashings) and Virginia couldn't throw a pea into the Atlantic Ocean. Mama said there'd be days like this.

The 'State game on Friday will be MUCH different. For one thing, Virginia will be at home. Also, they'll have the revenge factor.

Mathies to LA 2013
hoos#1

PostPosted: 01/09/06 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So does that mean for the next 4 years Lyndra wants to come off the bench?? I bet she would want to start if given the opportunity!! And Debbie is wrong for not starting her!! She should be down low and Sardin should be at the 3 replacing Brenna!!! And after the way "E" played this past weekend against FSU, she should be starting in place of Takeisha. A little birdy told me that she kills Brenna and Takeisha in practice everyday.......

About Brenna.....she may be performing better than last year....but she is still playing POORLY!! First off...she plays NO DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only thing she can do is shoot, and she cannnot do that now....hasn't for the past 7 games!! I could understand her playing if there was no one else to put in, but there are others!!!!!! She shouldn't even be starting anyway!!

I complained about the guards shooting tooo much....and they do. Yes their record is better than last year, but they are playing much weaker teams than last year. The only tough game the ladies had was Minnesota.....and they lost....should have won, but lost. Marquette was a good win, but the other games were weak......and Debbie schedeuled weak games b/c she did not know how good they would be this year....and she wanted 20 wins to help out with getting into the NCAA tourney. So.......they are lucky they have played weak teams.......to keep their record so good thus far.

If you know anything about basketball and you have gone to their games, you know the guards are forcing to many shots! It would be okay if they made half of the shots they shoot, but they do not.....so stop forcing it and get it into the posts! In my opinion, Brenna and Keisha who play the majority of the minutes at the guard spot.....think more about themselves than they do they team...they play to score, score, score......and they sulk when things aren't going in for them.........

If Brenna and the other guards do not look to get it to the posts more... UVA will not beat Duke, UNC, Maryland, .........and alot of other ACC teams........

If Debbie doesn't start playing the people she should.....it could be a long and frustrating season for the cavs..........and it would be a shame becausee the talent is there......just not being used or put in the right spot.

Someone said the post do not have a bench......that is why Sardin is there. Abby Robertson is a strong post player. I have seen her play pick-up, and she would be effective!! When she plays, she is effective. If Lyndra and Williams stay out of foul trouble, they would only need a quick breather every now and then, and abby could do that.......

Once again....Brenna should not be starting.........Sardin should be at the 3.....and Keisha........she can't defend anyone....."E".... could be staring for her......and from what I hear about practices......she should be starting at the 2 because she makes them look pretty bad.........

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/13/06 11:13 pm    ::: Re: Virginia Cavaliers 10-1 Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Virginia Tech is overrated. And they lost to NC State badly last night. I preferred where the Cavaliers are as of now: underrated, unranked and underdogs.

Just wait and see. The Cavaliers will do very well. In the next 6 games after Marquette, they will face Florida State, NC State, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Miami and Boston College.

By then, I predict Virginia will be 16-2 by then.

hmm....

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/13/06 11:24 pm    ::: Re: Virginia Cavaliers 10-1 Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
hmm....

Is that necessary? What did Minnesota do last night? Question

This team has 8 underclassmen and is led by a sophomore. Going 11-1 in the non-conference season gave fans something to cheer about. Now that the team has lost to two of the tough middle-tier ACC teams you want to bring this up? Are you serious? Last time I checked, Minnesota has more losses than Virginia and the Cavaliers play in a much tougher conference. Nothing wrong with losing two games to two talented conference foes. What happened at South Carolina?

This team is young, but you won't see many excuses coming from the players or the coaches. They'll simply regroup and get the ship back on track. This team has a lot of upsets to dish out this season.

Mathies to LA 2013
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/14/06 9:34 am    ::: Re: Virginia Cavaliers 10-1 Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Is that necessary? What did Minnesota do last night? Question

i don't go around talking shit about how great Minnesota is and how they're gonna beat everyone in the Big Ten.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/14/06 1:01 pm    ::: Re: Virginia Cavaliers 10-1 Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
i don't go around talking shit about how great Minnesota is and how they're gonna beat everyone in the Big Ten.

But why would you care what an ACC fan says about his/her favorite team when your team doesn't even play in that conference? What did you hope to accomplish from that snide remark? For what it's worth, I didn't find his comments to be "shit talking"; rather, he was just jubilant about the resurgence of a program that's been down for the past couple of years. Perhaps you need some history briefing on Virginia women's basketball.

Your comment was unnecessary seeing as how your team isn't exactly sailing smoothly. If I'm correct, they're on a losing streak right now.

Mathies to LA 2013
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/14/06 1:52 pm    ::: Re: Virginia Cavaliers 10-1 Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
What did you hope to accomplish from that snide remark?

Does saying "hmmm..." really count as a snide remark? If so, then I wasn't really meaning to accomplish anything other than snideness for snideness's sake.

People talk shit and make predictions. When their predictions turn out right, they get to brag about it and say I told you so. When their predictions turn out wrong, other people get to needle them for it. It's a staple of message board culture.

bballfan2005 wrote:
Your comment was unnecessary seeing as how your team isn't exactly sailing smoothly. If I'm correct, they're on a losing streak right now.

Well... a losing streak of one game. Probably two after tomorrow. Which will put us in about the same boat as the Cavs.

Also, I think Ridor is probably Admiral in disguise. Or at least -- so it appears from the listserv. Where he's known as "Ricky," for reasons that predate my listserv existence.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/14/06 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, ridor DID do a bit of bragging when Virginia was on the 8-game winning streak and hasn't been back here since. So perhaps he does deserve to eat a little crow now that Virginia's on a losing streak.

I don't think ridor is Admiral. For one thing, Admiral is a Terps "fan" and is signed on here more often. Ridor's pretty hard-core UVa and doesn't show up here more often. Admiral is West Coast and ridor's East Coast.

My comments regarding Minnesota were uncalled for and I apologize for that. As for Virginia, they'll be just fine this season. I'd rather they get losing out of their system early. The wins will come soon enough.

Mathies to LA 2013
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/14/06 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After seeing his posts other places, I would be shocked it Ridor was Admiral.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 01/14/06 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
My comments regarding Minnesota were uncalled for and I apologize for that.

That must of took a lot out of you to apologize Rolling Eyes considering I doubt your sorry for making any kind of uncalled for or unnecessary comments you have made regarding the gophers.

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/14/06 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
After seeing his posts other places, I would be shocked it Ridor was Admiral.

yeah, that was kind of a joke. (but just imagine!)

gopherfan wrote:
That must of took a lot out of you to apologize Rolling Eyes considering I doubt your sorry for making any kind of uncalled for or unnecessary comments you have made regarding the gophers.

oh, come on now... it's all just message board talk... and the gophs deserve a little trashing lately anyway...

ridor

PostPosted: 01/15/06 1:06 pm    ::: WTF? Reply Reply with quote

What the **** are you guys talking about Admiral? Who is s/he?!

Let me be clear on this ... I only subscribed one thing: WBBALL-L List -- yes, I am famous on that listserv because of my harsh comments towards the Lady Vols and the Huskies.

During the UT's 39-0 run, I once joked on the listserv where I said I'll pray for the bus to flip over so that they can not play against North Carolina in the Regional Finals. My, I got a huge outcry out of that. That's how I am when it comes to UT and Connecticut.

As for Virginia Cavaliers, I was optimistic with the way the season has been handled -- they are very young team -- the Teamer/Blue/Logan-Friend/O'Reggio truly took the team down for 4 years -- they caused several defectors and subjected to many suspensions over the years. Now it has a clean slate. I was afraid that they might be discouraged and may start 5-5. But no, it was 11-1. Which is nice, to say the least.

Losing to NC State and Florida State may blow my expectations ... but I think the team will find a way to win when it mattered the most.

womens-hoops, if it mattered anything, I'm Deaf. English is not my strong points -- but I try to express the best way I can. If you took my words literally all the time, you're going to work yourself a heart attack!

Cheers,

R-

hoos#1

PostPosted: 01/16/06 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well......as I stated before, and I was right.......until Debbie puts Brenna and Keisha out of the starting line-up....UVA will not win!!!! They killed UVA against FSU because they could not play defense and they did the same thing against NC St.. Sardin and the rest of the post SHUT DOWN their post play. SARDIN SHOULD BE ON THE WING!!!!!!!!! Debbie finally put Sardin on the wing in the second half and what happened.......Tiffany shut down the girl who was killin Keisha and Brenna all night....she did not score one time against Sardin!!!! And Sardin tore up in the second half scoring 12 points shotting a perfect 4 of 4 from her favorite spot (the little 12 foot baseline jumper) and driving baseline for the rest of her 16. Yes, Brenna hit 2 three pointers in the first half........but Tiffany also has a great 3 point shot that she never uses.......AND ANY DIVISION 1 THREE POINT SHOOTER SHOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE AT LEAST 2 A GAME!!!!......and even if Brenna did make 2..........she once again was AWFUL in the second half......and has not made ONE DEFENSIVE STOP the entire season!!!! A little birdie told me Keisha might not be starting 2nite against Tech..........AND THAT IS BULL!!!!! BOTH BRENNA AND KEISHA'S DEFENSE IS AWFUL.....BUT KEISHA HAS SCORED ALITTLE MOR THAN BRENNA THIS SEASON. I am starting to lose all my respect for Debbie. She needs to start and play the best 5.......and not be scared to take out Brenna..........come on Debbie........you in this to win.....not to make Brenna's mommy and daddy happy!!!!!

I know UVA basketball.........they will not win or be successful against tough teams until they move Tif to the wing and start another post.!!!!! And for those of you who say Robertson can't play that much.......wait til you see who plays tonight!!! Abby is better than you think, and she can help out UVA if Debbie gives her a shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/16/06 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I gather from your post that you'd like to see Brenna McGuire pulled from the starting line-up. I agree with you after seeing Friday night's game. Yes, Brenna is a deep-ball threat. She even knocked down a couple of three-pointers in the first half. However, look who checked Brenna. Monica Pope, a 5-6 guard. At 5-11, I'd think Brenna would be able to shoot over Pope any day of the week.

What made Brenna successful was Zoll's dribble-drive off the high pick-and-roll for the dish-out to the wing. Ashley Key couldn't defend it in the first half BUT Whittington was able to hedge out high and take the roll away in the second half. If Zoll can't get into the lane, she can't draw attention and then kick out. Thus, as she struggled, Brenna struggled. It also didn't help that Brenna couldn't keep up with Key on defense.

Takisha Granberry's offense might not be as polished as it should be, but she's probably due for a breakout game. Her defense, on the other hand, is solid IMHO. She had two timely blocks in the game, one on Key and one on McDowell (I believe). She should remain in the starting line-up.

Abby Robertson (and Lyndra Littles for that matter) needs to learn how to move her feet on defense before she can warrant getting more minutes.

Mathies to LA 2013
hoos#1

PostPosted: 01/16/06 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for someone agreeing with me about Brenna. I have nothing against Brenna....but I just want UVA to win....and she should not be out there. If Keisha doesn't start 2nite......alot of fans should be upset. Keisha is better dfensively than Brenna and she has provided more offense than Brenna this season. I don't understand how anyone who has seen them play cannot se this. Obviously they no nothing about the game of basketball.

I think Littles definitely needs to pick up her defense because that is what hurts her.....but let her get out there and work...she can do it. I have seen Abby play...the girl is tough!!...but she is playing so scared thus far becasue she doesn't want to make a mistake and have Debbie give her fewer minutes. Abby could be a strong defensive player...stronger than Littles, I have seen it, and Abby can shoot a little jumper too.....but she has shown no one her offense this year becasue she plays scared. If Debbie showed confidence in them I bet they would play like they are capable of.......but she doesn't, she continues to baby Brenna and keep her in the game.....and I know why that is, but I can't give out that information..........

I hope the line-up changes so people can really se how UVA can play!!!! We need the Ws and not the Ls!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: