RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

North Carolina State at Virginia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sternvogel

PostPosted: 01/13/06 7:19 pm    ::: North Carolina State at Virginia Reply Reply with quote

Pack has a 5-4 lead at the first media TO.

http://www.womensbasketballonline.com/birthdays/index.html

Let me know of any players/teams you wish to see added!
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/13/06 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

21-18 'Pack at 3rd TO

Zoll having a good game early on for Virginia.

McDowell's knocked down a couple of 3-pointers for 'State.

Mathies to LA 2013

Last edited by bballfan2005 on 01/13/06 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sternvogel

PostPosted: 01/13/06 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

27-all at halftime. Billie McDowell leads all scorers with 10, while Brenna McGuire's 8 points pace the Cavaliers.

http://www.womensbasketballonline.com/birthdays/index.html

Let me know of any players/teams you wish to see added!
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/13/06 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

27-27 all at halftime. Virginia is primed for the win, as they have been in this position before at U-Hall this season.

Sloppy offensive first half for Virginia, but I'll take the tie at the half because the defense is incredible!

Zoll: 7 pts, 5 assists. Definitely one of the ACC's best point guards (2nd in league in assists (6.2) and steals (2.9)). Nice to see Debbie and Beth give her a little luv. Smile

S.Williams: 4 pts, 6 rebounds, and 2 blocks for one of the ACC's best percentage shooters.

McDowell: 10 pts, including two 3-pointers

I guess NC State is content with living by the three. Hopefully they'll go stone-cold from that arc in the second half.

Oh, and it's time for Lyndra Littles to show up! I am, though, proud of Brenna McGuire. She's been in a bit of a slump and is now shooting herself out of it. Nice defense as well, Brenna!

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/13/06 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here goes NC State again Rolling Eyes

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/13/06 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Siedah Williams hurt (leaves game).

Where in the hell do they get these referees? The no-calls and bad calls are unbearable.

14:20 left...plenty of time for Virginia to lock it up and win it.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/13/06 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

73-63 'State. Good win for State coming off a terrible loss to Wake last time out. UVa couldn't overcome the three-point shooting for NC State. Virginia now goes back to the drawing board with a 2-game losing streak. Next up: a must-win @ Virginia Tech.

Billie McDowell is a player! Five three-pointers were among the 23 points scored tonight. She was incredible.

The game was over once Siedah Williams got hurt and left the game. She had provided energy while she was on the court. When she left, NC State started raining threes. Even though she came back into the game, Virginia couldn't overcome the three-pointers.

Tiffany Sardin is a baller. The girl has midrange game. She just needs to get the ball on the wing more.

Sharneé Zoll ended up with 10 assists, but she went scoreless in the second half. She played almost the entire game and was sucking wind even right after halftime. She must've been sick or something because she just couldn't keep up with the 'State guards in the second half. And no, she's no slow poke.

Brenna McGuire had a good game early on, but she was reluctant to pull the trigger in the second half. That hurt UVa. Furthermore, Lyndra Littles just couldn't get it going for Virginia.

Despite the 0-2 start, I'm still upbeat about this team. They showed me something in the last 4 minutes of the game (and no, 'State didn't pull all their starters out). There are some kinks that need to be worked out, but this team will get better as the ACC season progresses. I expect to see them get their fair share of big wins and upsets this upcoming season.

Next up: 'State gets ripped in half by UNC at home. Ivory Latta is 2.5X Zoll, and if 'State couldn't completely slow a winded Zoll down, I'd hate to see what a fresh Latta'll do to them.

Mathies to LA 2013
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/13/06 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any info on Williams's injury? Hopefully nothing severe.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/13/06 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Not at all. It appeared that she bumped her knee while trying to set up for a charge. She re-entered the game and did just fine.

Mathies to LA 2013
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/13/06 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Not at all. It appeared that she bumped her knee while trying to set up for a charge. She re-entered the game and did just fine.

Good to hear. She has been on my radar since high school, when she was recruited by Purdue. Glad she is OK.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/13/06 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day. I do remember Cam saying that she was one of the better scorers coming out of Ohio, following in the footsteps of Na'Sheema Hillmon and Jawad Williams. I wonder what made her leave the Midwest.

Siedah is blossoming into a pretty good low-post player at UVa despite being only 6-2. She's among the league leaders in field goal percentage and is a tough defender in her first season as a starter. She can be All-ACC this year.

Mathies to LA 2013
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/14/06 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day. I do remember Cam saying that she was one of the better scorers coming out of Ohio, following in the footsteps of Na'Sheema Hillmon and Jawad Williams. I wonder what made her leave the Midwest.

Siedah is blossoming into a pretty good low-post player at UVa despite being only 6-2. She's among the league leaders in field goal percentage and is a tough defender in her first season as a starter. She can be All-ACC this year.

I don't know how far Williams and Purdue got, but I learned a little about her at the time. She seemed like an interesting player. We go after most every player out of Ohio at least in the early stages.

I actually think we were recruiting Zoll for a while as well, but ended up with her high school teammate Brina Pollack when Zoll opted for Virginia.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 01/14/06 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

how come Goring didn't play more than 2? She seemed to be doing well early in the season and then i recall an injury? Still a problem?

PostPosted: 01/14/06 9:26 am    ::: Phew Reply Reply with quote

I don't know that the Pack deserved this one Confused . We can't hope that Billie has this night all the time.

Zoll, and Virgina as a whole, really made State look slow in the first half. Their plan seemed to be to throw as many bodies around Stansbury, or Whittington as possible. Since we've relied on those two so much, and they seemed helpless (hope Stansbury's mysterious illness ends soon) I thought it was going to be ugly. But Billie stepped up for us, and once she was hitting those 3s, Key and Stockdale started hitting theirs.

Our game looked completely different from what it's been this year, but a win is a win. We're in trouble with UNC if this continues (although our games with them are traditionally close, the announcers seemed to be assuming it would be a blowout Evil or Very Mad ).

I don't know why Goring doesn't play more, I've heard about fitness, but you'd think she could go more than 2 mins.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/14/06 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
how come Goring didn't play more than 2? She seemed to be doing well early in the season and then i recall an injury? Still a problem?

The pace of the game probably kept Kay Yow from putting her in more. Plus, she wasn't needed much in the second half, as was the case for the entire NC State front line. I wouldn't expect her to play much against UNC unless UNC attacks the basket often in the halfcourt.

Quote:
I actually think we were recruiting Zoll for a while as well, but ended up with her high school teammate Brina Pollack when Zoll opted for Virginia.

From a social standpoint, Zoll could've played at Purdue. I believe her father's family resides in Indiana. From a basketball standpoint, I'm not sure. I think she wanted to be a starter from day one, something that her other choices (Maryland, Georgia, and I believe Duke...not sure, though) couldn't promise her. Virginia could; thus, she signed with UVa despite all the pressures that come with being a UVa PG. As it stands, she's already broken one of Dawn's records (freshman assists) and will more than likely break the other (all-time ACC assist record).

As for Brina Pollack, she was the better shooter of the two without a doubt. I have no clue what she'd be able to do at Georgetown, though.

ChiChi, a win is a win. Every win in the ACC, as you know, is a big win. NC State simply hit their shots all night. Virginia had the best 3-point shooting defense in the league yet got schooled last night from the arc. I agree that the 'Pack can't rely on Billie McDowell to have games like last night's game every time out, so they need to find a way to get the inside game working.

For what it's worth, I have to agree with Debbie and Beth. The game shouldn't be close based on how 'State handles pressure. UNC pressure is the caffeinated version of Virginia pressure, so I expect to see many more deflections and steals by UNC on Sunday. 'State contained Zoll for one half to get the win. They'll have to contain Latta for two halves to make the game close. However, these games have been traditionally close, making for an interesting rivalry. That's why they play the games on the court and not on paper. With rivalry games, the stats can oftentimes be thrown out of the window.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: