RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Georgia @ Tennessee
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumps

PostPosted: 01/12/06 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikey87 wrote:
sebibb wrote:
CKent wrote:
Candace Parker. Wow. The thing is, that was a very "quiet" 20-plus points...not a lot of highlight reel stuff. What's going to happen when she starts asserting herself and taking over games? Such poise and grace. Elgin Baylor powerful and George Gervin smooth. She's going to be scary good (great minds thinking alike, sebibb). One of the best ever in orange, possibly.

well, for the record, i wasn't the first one to say "scary good," but i'm sure it'll be repeated ad nauseum over this young woman's career. as for quiet, she always plays like that, doesn't she? deceptively so. i don't know if we're gonna see an "assertion mode." this may be it.

BUT HOW ABOUT HUMPHREY AND PARKER TO ME THEY ARE 2 OF THE TOP 10 PLAYERS IN THE LEAGUE AND IN WCBB PERIOD, AND BAKER HAS REALLY STEPPED IT UP THIS YEAR WE CAN STILL DO SOME THINGS

Tasha is the best player that TN has played against this year...I may have to put my Tasha avatar back up...Nah, I will save it for the offseason...

Grumps

gopher5

PostPosted: 01/13/06 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Baker is an interesting player - lightning quick, good passer, iffy outside shot, decent handle from what I can recall. The iffy outside shot prevents her from being Kedra mark II but I had the thought she should try to make it as a 1 in the WNBA.

Kendrick is another interesting one - she's got the tools but has never really taken it to the next level.

I have been wondering about Baker lately. I have not seen her play much, but have been really impressed with what I have seen and read. I don't know if she can be considered a sleeper pick for the first round but she is emerging as one for me.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/13/06 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there's a possibility, a good possibility that down the road, we'll be asking the same question/joke they did with MJ:

Who's the only person to hold Michael Jordan under 20 ppg? Dean Smith.

Well, it may be Pat Summitt.

stever

PostPosted: 01/13/06 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Elgin Baylor powerful
...whoa, that's reaching back a ways Wink...one of my high school heroes.
...something I never knew about Elgin:
Elgin Baylor (right) refused to play in a professional basketball game in Charleston in 1959 because he and two other black teammates weren't allowed to stay in a Charleston hotel. So the coach for the Minneapolis Lakers moved his entire team to another hotel. The Lakers' star rookie, however, watched the game against the Cincinnati Royals from the bench in street clothes. Beside him is Rod Hundley, Charleston native and West Virginia University All-American, who scored 17 points in the 95-91 loss to the Royals. The following day, Baylor said he wouldn't have played in the game even if it had cost him his entire year's salary. The president of the Lakers said he supported Baylor's action and regretted his embarrassment.

CKent

PostPosted: 01/13/06 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Quote:
Elgin Baylor powerful
...whoa, that's reaching back a ways Wink

I'm kinda old-school...ish. And, BTW, your blog is an invaluable resource.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/13/06 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Quote:
Elgin Baylor powerful
...whoa, that's reaching back a ways Wink...one of my high school heroes.
...something I never knew about Elgin:
Elgin Baylor (right) refused to play in a professional basketball game in Charleston in 1959 because he and two other black teammates weren't allowed to stay in a Charleston hotel. So the coach for the Minneapolis Lakers moved his entire team to another hotel. The Lakers' star rookie, however, watched the game against the Cincinnati Royals from the bench in street clothes. Beside him is Rod Hundley, Charleston native and West Virginia University All-American, who scored 17 points in the 95-91 loss to the Royals. The following day, Baylor said he wouldn't have played in the game even if it had cost him his entire year's salary. The president of the Lakers said he supported Baylor's action and regretted his embarrassment.

Stever great info; there is so much that people don't know. I saw a great show with Bill Russell talking about the intolerance of th 50s/60s. I never realized the players entered the court via the crowd, not a locker room in most places, so they were EXTREMELY abused, including thrown things and being hit on the way by.

stever

PostPosted: 01/13/06 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...yeah, and that was at Boston Garden! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: