RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ohio State vs Oklahoma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/09/06 9:01 pm    ::: Ohio State vs Oklahoma Reply Reply with quote

Buckys win 75-71!

PostPosted: 01/09/06 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's easy to call this a bad loss, but Oklahoma is a very inexperienced team and by tourney time, they'll be prepared.

PostPosted: 01/09/06 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
It's easy to call this a bad loss, but Oklahoma is a very inexperienced team and by tourney time, they'll be prepared.

Quite a battle inside between Paris and Daveport. Maybe Paris wins the battle but Davenport hit the game winner...

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A bad loss, losing by 4 to #10 in the country? I don't feel too bad about it, though the Sooners did blow a 10-pt lead.

Courtney Paris - 23 pts, 14 rbs
Jessica Davenport - 15pts, 3 rbs

And CP's only a freshman, y'all!

cmarkcarver

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio State made the plays they needed to at crunch time. Big lift for Jess Davenport with the last second shot, too. Debbie Merrill came up big finally for OSU, too. Sherrie's troops should not fret. They have a great supporting cast and Courtney Paris is the real deal. She will use the loss to make them better....I wouldn't want to play them in the postseason...that's for sure!

stever

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merrill was quietly impressive, to me. Her game says "coaches kid". Wink

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Merrill was quietly impressive, to me. Her game says "coaches kid". Wink

I think Merrill would be a nice player for Minnesota. Good passer, nice rebounding, effort, runs the floor nicely. She'd work the high-low well with Ohlde, Hayden and Williams also Laughing

PostPosted: 01/09/06 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:

I don't think this was a bad loss. I thought OU played very good, especially since the last time they were on TV vs Michigan State. They had their butts handed to them AT HOME. To go to the wire on the road against a higher ranked team......

so, I think it would be very hard to call this a "bad" loss. There couldn't be a better experience for Courtney Paris and getting her ready for the BIG XII and beyond having to deal with someone her own size.

OU#1

PostPosted: 01/10/06 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally get to report on game - long, long trip. Definitely this battle goes to the freshman! No way is Davenport POY material. Had it not been for OSU's Merrill doing the blue collar work inside and the husky (and I mean husky) freshman post for OSU coming off the bench, Davenport would have been humbled by Courtney. I agree that I wouldn't want to face the Sooners in the tourney. Big difference will be Coales will use this loss to her team's advantage and Foster will continue to have is demoralizing effect on his team. Man, there was a big difference between the chemistry on the court and even on the bench by both teams. I never saw a Buckeye verbally lead her team the entire game. In addition the movement off the ball by the Sooners in "give and go's" and such were awesome to watch. Foster's offense still stinks. Play of the game though was one of the Sooner guards taking it to the hole vs. Davenport on the lower rt. baseline - total power move without hesitation. That showed a lack of respect towards Davenport's D. And the "sight" of the game was let's say the visiting coach in her 4" heels walking all the way down to the OSU huddle right after introductions to wish the host coach good luck. Made Foster look dumb and gave all the old Buckeye male fan base a longer time to drop their jaws at the heels and pink skirt of you can guess who!

rep_ur_city

PostPosted: 01/10/06 2:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've watched Davenport for the second/3rd time this season, both against ranked teams, and she struggled. Last year I think either she almost dropped a triple double or actually did it against MSU AT the Breslin Center, and I thought she was a monster, but not this year. It's easy to play well against low competition but when you don't play well against the tough teams, then I'd have to agree with OU#1, Davenport isn't POY material. I know she hit the game winner, but she had good position on the shot. I think Brandy Hoskins(I think that's her name) gave them the opportunity to win and they did. Entertaining game tho.

We like being swept under the carpet because all the dirt comes out in the end-Rasheed Wallace aka Sheeeed!!
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/10/06 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rep_ur_city wrote:
I've watched Davenport for the second/3rd time this season, both against ranked teams, and she struggled. Last year I think either she almost dropped a triple double or actually did it against MSU AT the Breslin Center, and I thought she was a monster, but not this year. It's easy to play well against low competition but when you don't play well against the tough teams, then I'd have to agree with OU#1, Davenport isn't POY material. I know she hit the game winner, but she had good position on the shot. I think Brandy Hoskins(I think that's her name) gave them the opportunity to win and they did. Entertaining game tho.

Davenport is suffering more than most people expected from the loss of Caity Matter. It appears the entire Buckeye team is.

cmarkcarver

PostPosted: 01/10/06 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Outstanding point....they do miss a strong threat from the outside. Hoskins will have to pick it up the rest of the season. Meanwhile, Foster needs to use Merrill to his advantage more. She is First-Team Big Ten material.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/10/06 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cmarkcarver wrote:
Outstanding point....they do miss a strong threat from the outside. Hoskins will have to pick it up the rest of the season. Meanwhile, Foster needs to use Merrill to his advantage more. She is First-Team Big Ten material.

Hoskins isn't much of an outside shooter. Marcilla Packer is the big outside threat, but until she puts up consistently big numbers, teams can chance leaving her open. Purdue did this, and it almost cost them the game because she went off for a career high. But it also allowed them to clamp on Hoskins and Davenport hard, holding them way below their average points.

If Packer starts being seen as the threat Matter was, things could turn around for Davenport pretty quickly.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/10/06 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that Matter is gone the defense can cheat off a perimeter player on OSU to help defensively with Davenport. From what I've seen, Hoskins doesn't have much of an outside shot. They are missing Matter a lot, which is why I questioned their preseason ranking being so high.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/10/06 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
Now that Matter is gone the defense can cheat off a perimeter player on OSU to help defensively with Davenport. From what I've seen, Hoskins doesn't have much of an outside shot. They are missing Matter a lot, which is why I questioned their preseason ranking being so high.

Not only that. Ashley Allen is not a point guard. Wilburn is a very good defender and ball distributor, but she can't shoot for shit. She takes very few shots and is not an offensive threat (especially from three). That makes it 4-on-5 and makes it easier for defenders to either collapse on Davenport or keep a chaser on the perimeter scorers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: