RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colt13

PostPosted: 04/03/16 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Time for my mock draft. And yes, i'm doing it anyway, even though only 1 of 36 picks may be right.

Skip To Round: 1
1 Seattle -Breanna Stewart
2 San Antonio -Rachel Banham
3 Connecticut -Moriah Jefferson
4 Connecticut -Courtney Williams-USF
5 Dallas -Jonquel Jones
6 Los Angeles -Morgan Tuck
7 Washington -Tiffany Mitchell
8 Phoenix -Jamie Weisner
9 Indiana -Imani Boyette
10 Chicago -Ruth Hamblin
11 Atlanta -Bria Holmes
12 New York -Lexi Eaton Rydalch
Round 2
13 Atlanta -Brianna Butler
14 Minnesota -Jillian Alleyne
15 Connecticut -Adut Bulgak
16 Atlanta -Niya Johnson
17 Los Angeles -Nicole Seekamp
18 Dallas -Madison Cable
19 Washington -Kelsey Minato
20 Phoenix -Whitney Knight
21 Indiana -April Robinson
22 Minnesota -Sheeresa Richards
23 Connecticut -Megan Podkowa
24 New York -Ameryst Alston
Round 3
25 San Antonio -Brittany Martin
26 Seattle- Talia Walton
27 Connecticut -Annie Tarakchian
28 Atlanta -Tesha Buck
29 Los Angeles -Taylor Proctor
30 Dallas -Kahleah Copper
31 Washington -Ashley Riniger
32 Phoenix -Basharra Graves
33 Indiana -Courtney Walker
34 Chicago -Megan Deines
35 Minnesota -Katie Healy
36 New York -Joy Adams

Also think Banham is getting drafted to get traded, but I have no clue to whom.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/03/16 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Tesha Buck is a junior.

colt13

PostPosted: 04/03/16 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I believe Tesha Buck is a junior.

Thanks, don't know why I was a year off. Will plug in Lia Galdeira there instead.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/03/16 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:
Time for my mock draft. And yes, i'm doing it anyway, even though only 1 of 36 picks may be right.

Skip To Round: 1
1 Seattle -Breanna Stewart
2 San Antonio -Rachel Banham
3 Connecticut -Moriah Jefferson
4 Connecticut -Courtney Williams-USF
5 Dallas -Jonquel Jones
6 Los Angeles -Morgan Tuck
7 Washington -Tiffany Mitchell
8 Phoenix -Jamie Weisner
9 Indiana -Imani Boyette
10 Chicago -Ruth Hamblin
11 Atlanta -Bria Holmes
12 New York -Lexi Eaton Rydalch
Round 2
13 Atlanta -Brianna Butler
14 Minnesota -Jillian Alleyne
15 Connecticut -Adut Bulgak
16 Atlanta -Niya Johnson
17 Los Angeles -Nicole Seekamp
18 Dallas -Madison Cable
20 Phoenix -Whitney Knight
21 Indiana -April Robinson
22 Minnesota -Sheeresa Richards
23 Connecticut -Megan Podkowa
24 New York -Ameryst Alston
Round 3
25 San Antonio -Brittany Martin
26 Seattle- Talia Walton
27 Connecticut -Annie Tarakchian
28 Atlanta -Tesha Buck
29 Los Angeles -Taylor Proctor
30 Dallas -Kahleah Copper
31 Washington -Ashley Riniger
32 Phoenix -Basharra Graves
33 Indiana -Courtney Walker
34 Chicago -Megan Deines
35 Minnesota -Katie Healy
36 New York -Joy Adams

re: #3 & #4. I know they love the AAC in CON, but it's rumored they want a guard and a forward with these picks

#5: Going guard

#12: SF is biggest need

#14: Not looking for a deferred as first pick. Bulgak over Alleyne

#16: Nice fit!

#18: Valued way too high

#22: Hoping Reeve values three point shooting

#24: Katie Smith seems to like her, but how many guards do NYL need?

#26: I think this pick idea was stolen from me Wink

#30: You must be in the Megdal fan club. Most egregious of your picks. Top half guaranteed

#33: Probably deserves higher

#35: Who?

colt13 wrote:

Also think Banham is getting drafted to get traded, but I have no clue to whom.

To Minnesota for Augustus and #22 (SAN lacks a second round pick)?

Other notes: Steph White said Courtney Williams of TAMU is a first round lock (for her, top half first round). She'd look somewhat bad if she didn't take her at #9.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
colt13

PostPosted: 04/03/16 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades, thanks for the input.

Re:TAMU Courtney Williams, I probably would have had her early second, but still don't know what she got suspended for, so skipped her for safety.

Cable is high, but sort of fits the Maggie Lucas type that goes around that slot.

Katie Healy-St. Bonaventure-has enough of an inside game to stick as a backup.

And you are right-I put Alleyne with Minnesota because I assumed they could wait a year.

Copper i'm not high on, but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/03/16 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boyette and Hamlin are so overrated..Boyette doesn't have the drive and Hamlin is a soft non-athletic 6'6.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 04/03/16 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamlin looks very soft under the basket.

chadb

PostPosted: 04/03/16 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamlin is not a pro player. Period. I think Boyette could have a role but Hamlin is not a WNBA player.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 04/03/16 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chadb wrote:
Hamlin is not a pro player. Period. I think Boyette could have a role but Hamlin is not a WNBA player.
I think that's a bit unfair to say. Hamblin's final lines against both UConn AND Baylor were pretty acceptable (had double-doubles in both games), and finished with 6 blocks vs UConn. Not eye popping numbers, but still acceptable. I think whoever drafts her knows that she'll be a work in progress, but that can be said about a lot of players in this draft. To me, Hamblin has to get stronger, but that's something that can be worked on and fixed. Her offensive game appears to be a little stiff, but that may be a confidence thing, or lack of development from her college coach. Who knows. I honestly don't think she'll be any worse than Hamson, who too is a project.

chadb

PostPosted: 04/03/16 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just dont think you can teach atlethicism which my left pinky toe has as much as Hamlin has. She is too slow, has no 1:1 offense and is too soft. I just dont see her translating to the WNBA. Prob a very decent international career.

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
chadb wrote:
I think that's a bit unfair to say. Hamblin's final lines against both UConn AND Baylor were pretty acceptable (had double-doubles in both games), and finished with 6 blocks vs UConn. Not eye popping numbers, but still acceptable. I think whoever drafts her knows that she'll be a work in progress, but that can be said about a lot of players in this draft. To me, Hamblin has to get stronger, but that's something that can be worked on and fixed. Her offensive game appears to be a little stiff, but that may be a confidence thing, or lack of development from her college coach. Who knows. I honestly don't think she'll be any worse than Hamson, who too is a project.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 04/03/16 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chadb wrote:
I just dont think you can teach atlethicism which my left pinky toe has as much as Hamlin has. She is too slow, has no 1:1 offense and is too soft. I just dont see her translating to the WNBA. Prob a very decent international career.

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
chadb wrote:
Yes, you can't teach that but you can polish an offensive game imo. When you don't have the athleticism, you can use your body to your advantage, something Ruth doesn't seem to know to do yet, but she has a very solid frame. I think one must remember, Hamblin started playing basketball in high school though. And yes she is slow, but so is Appel and Paris, but they both know how to use their bodies to their advantage. I think Ruth will have to go to the perfect situation, same with a lot of these players, in order to get the development and coaching they need.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/03/16 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Spooner, since pilight has showed a strong interest in Weisner, and I have shown a strong interest in bringing in a halfway decent post player, could you swap #11 and #14?

My ultimate Lynx draft under your scenario.
14. Bulgak
22. Knight
35. Hollivay

I might have to bump Knight at #22 with Talia Walton. Ballin'!

toad455

PostPosted: 04/03/16 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Shades wrote:
Spooner, since pilight has showed a strong interest in Weisner, and I have shown a strong interest in bringing in a halfway decent post player, could you swap #11 and #14?

My ultimate Lynx draft under your scenario.
14. Bulgak
22. Knight
35. Hollivay

I might have to bump Knight at #22 with Talia Walton. Ballin'!

seriously though. I think Walton has bumped herself into the 2nd round of the draft with tonight's game. Maybe it's a good thing Plum isn't declaring, her draft stock would have dropped after tonight's game.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Jdub

PostPosted: 04/03/16 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="TotalCardinalMove"]
chadb wrote:
or lack of development from her college coach.

I screwed up that quote. But it's definitely not that. You obviously didn't see her when she came to Oregon State. She has made huge improvements to get to where she is. Hopefully she can continue to improve.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 04/03/16 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Jdub"]
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
chadb wrote:
or lack of development from her college coach.

I screwed up that quote. But it's definitely not that. You obviously didn't see her when she came to Oregon State. She has made huge improvements to get to where she is. Hopefully she can continue to improve.
I was talking about offensively, even in limited minutes as a freshman she was still averaging a block a game. That blocks number increased over her time there, but she still lacks a prolific offensive game. To me, she had always been pretty good defensively there. Her coach at OSU even said her offense is still a work in progress after 4 years. And it's not like she wasn't playing basketball over the summers while at OSU.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 04/03/16 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL @ bumping a player's draft stock up or down because of one game

PostPosted: 04/03/16 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
So here is my pre-tourney mock. 2 rounds is very hard, props to you guys for attempting 3. So I tried to pick players I thought the team's GM would select. In parenthesis is a little reason why and the name after that in bold is another player I wouldn't be surprised to see selected instead. For example, at #2 I believe SA wants Banham, but they also need help upfront, so it would make more sense for them to make a trade with Connecticut. That's why I put Banham outside the parenthesis.

1. SEA- Breanna Stewart UCONN
2. SA- Moriah Jefferson (SA has to get something for MoJeff I'm thinking Banham and Henry for Jefferson? Is that too much for the rookie?) Banham
3. CONN- Rachel Banham MINN (traded to SA) Jefferson
4. CONN- Morgan Tuck UCONN
5. DAL- Tiffany Mitchell USC (I believe Dallas moved up because she might be available and she fits well because she plays good defense and Diggy doesn't) Copper
6. LA- Kahleah Copper (I could be way off. Maybe Johnson? Maybe Boyette? LA is always a mystery to me. I think they're hoping Mitchell falls to 6 but Copper might be an upgrade over last years first rounder) Johnson
7. WAS- Jonquel Jones GW (WAS could use a guard, but I think Coach T can get the best out of Jones. Nice compliment to Dolson and Messamen.)
8. PHX- Niya Johnson (Does point guard outweigh the need for another perimeter scorer?) C. Williams USF
9. IND- Courtney Williams USF (Someone to replace Zeallous' scoring) Alston
10. CHI- Imani Boyette TEX (Chicago needs a center who can rebound and defend. Which one does Pokie select, if both Boyette and Hamblin are available?) Hamblin
11. ATL- Ruth Hamblin OSU (I have a feeling Coop and co will mess this one up so who knows what he'll do if Johnson is gone.) Alleyne
12. NY- Ameryst Alston OSU (If Copper's stock has really risen I could see NY going with another capable scorer. Prince may be out this year and Wright and Zellous will need back-up)

13. ATL- Jamie Weisner OSU (Can play both positions, solid bench player and scrappy player. I think she could fit well in Atl) C. Walker
14. MINN- Adut Bulgak FSU (A big who can shoot. Another N. Howard?)
15. CONN- Jillian Alleyne Oregon (Stashed for next season. A lot of picks and not a lot of roster spots. Conn should be very deep this year. Do they pick up a small forward?) Holmes
16. ATL- C. Walker TXAM (Another scoring guard. If Weisner was their real choice I could see Coop selecting the bigger Aggie in Williams) C. Williams
17. LA- Bria Holmes (I like Holmes in LA, but do they need her here if they get Copper in the first round?)
18. DAL- Courtney Williams TXAM (idk if she falls this far, but if she does she'll be a good fit in Dallas) B. Martin
19. WAS- Whitney Knight FGCU (Was could use a back up sf. At 6'3, Knight has size and the ability to hit the outside shot. Coach T will prob pick a foreign gem though. Lol)
20. PHX- Brittney Martin OSU (Can she transition to the sf position. There will be more minutes there, possibly)
21. IND- BaShaara Graves TENN (Indiana has four solid posts ahead of her in Larkins, Kizer, Achonwa and Peters but I can see Graves making the team as the 5th post.)
22. MINN- Kaylon Williams OU (Solid post with good footwork. Does Minny look for a guard here?)
23. CONN- Nathalie Fontaine BALL St. (Big guard, could play some sf.)
24. NY- Aliyyah Handford SJU (Would be surprised to see Bill take a post. He loves his bigs, he could also use some ball handling off the bench. Maybe Wright and Zellous will start and Boyd will come off the bench. I just went for some hometown flavor)

Here's my last mock
1. Sea- Stewart
2. San- Jefferson (SA should still try to get two pieces for Jefferson. C. Gray and #4?)
3. Conn- Tuck (I could see Banham here if Conn is pursuing Jefferson.)
4. Conn- Banham
5. Dal- C. Williams USF
6. LA- Mitchell
7. Was- Jones
8. Phx- Boyette
9. Ind- Copper
10. Chi- Hamblin
11. Atl- Alston
12. Ny- Weisner

13. Atl- Bulgak
14. Min- C. Williams TXAM
15. Conn- Alleyne
16. Atl- N. Johnson
17. LA- Butler
18. Dal- Knight
19. Was- Graves
20. Phx- C. Walker TXAM
21. Ind- Holmes
22. Minn- K. Williams
23. Conn- Walton
24. Ny- Hanford

PostPosted: 04/04/16 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn's Morgan Tuck Says She Will Announce A UConn Return Or WNBA After Title Game

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-morgan-tuck-future-0405-20160404-story.html

Quote:
"I have been waiting until the end of the season to say," Tuck said. "And after the game I will make my decision known."

Quote:
Tuck has the option of returning to UConn on a medical hardship basis as a graduate student to play a fourth varsity season. But she can also declare for the WNBA Draft and it's expected if she does she will be one of the top five players taken in the first round.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/04/16 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:

Minato will be a commissioned officer upon graduation. Her basketball career is over.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 04/04/16 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
colt13 wrote:

Minato will be a commissioned officer upon graduation. Her basketball career is over.
She's allowed to play if she makes a team, she got approval for it already.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/04/16 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aerial Powers Declares for WNBA Draft

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/040416aaa.html

Quote:
Michigan State's Aerial Powers will forego her senior season and declare for the 2016 WNBA Draft.

"This was not an easy decision to make, but I want to thank Coach Merchant and all the coaches and support staff, my family and all of my teammates. I have enjoyed every second of being a Spartan, but now I look forward to the next chapter of my basketball career. Spartan nation will always hold a special place in my heart," Powers said.

Last edited by Shades on 04/04/16 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/04/16 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
UConn's Morgan Tuck Says She Will Announce A UConn Return Or WNBA After Title Game

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-morgan-tuck-future-0405-20160404-story.html

Quote:
"I have been waiting until the end of the season to say," Tuck said. "And after the game I will make my decision known."

Quote:
Tuck has the option of returning to UConn on a medical hardship basis as a graduate student to play a fourth varsity season. But she can also declare for the WNBA Draft and it's expected if she does she will be one of the top five players taken in the first round.

Based on that I would be VERY surprised if she stayed.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/04/16 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The draft just got a bit more interesting and added more depth. This is going to be a 'good' year. I think Atlanta with its three picks in the middle will be able to find a gem or two. It's going to be fun to see who pans out and who turns out to be a dud (ette). I think there will be surprises both ways.

- Amanda Gorman
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/04/16 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
LOL @ bumping a player's draft stock up or down because of one game

Tournament runs have done that for players.

PostPosted: 04/04/16 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My take is that I'd definitely evaluate differently based on matchups. If you're playing against Connecticut for instance, that's the closest you can get in college basketball to playing against a WNBA team. Obviously it's not an exact science because a player like Hamblin will probably not see a double team in the first two years of her WNBA career. That said she looked remarkably not ready for the WNBA. If you're 6'6" you have to go to the rim with some strength, balance and aggression. You compare her to a player like Swords, and Swords is two to three times the player Hamblin is. Which means Hamblin has serious work to do just to get to the level of Swords. And that's given that Swords plays generally backup level minutes, even if she started a majority of games last year. Hamblin struggled against Stewart in the paint, even when Stewart was in foul trouble. And Stewart, while much stronger this year compared to last, is pretty slight compared to WNBA centers.

Boyette also has a lot of work to do but at least she has athleticism in her corner. Though she is astonishingly lacking in balance and footwork. Any type of contact in the Connecticut game made her lose her balance.

You can't teach height, but I'd be hard pressed to remember a draft in which there were two 6'6" players taken who clearly were major projects to the extent that it doesn't appear you can safely put either player on the floor without it stagnating your offense.

In that sense, I think the Connecticut games were very revealing. When forced to play faster, like at WNBA speed, both players struggled. It wasn't just about the stats either. They couldn't get post position, couldn't get to multiple areas of the floor. Both players were the recipient of passes that led to turnovers, either because they couldn't get to the ball or couldn't hold the ball in traffic.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 04/04/16 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 49 of 63

Jump to: