RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 03/31/16 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A mock draft is a little too much work when there are so many uncertainties. Thoughts ...

Stewart: Obvious No. 1

Jefferson: Size is the concern, and how she will fare when not surrounded by elite talent. It's possible she will struggle some when her running mates are not markedly better than the opposition. It's possible none of that will matter.

Tuck: I see Draymond Green -- with bad knees. And Draymond was no sure thing, and neither is Tuck. She might not be able to overcome her size and quickness limitations with skill and intelligence. But then again, she might.

Mitchell: What does she do well? She does everything OK, but generally a player who steps up at the next level has one skill that stands out. Not always, of course, but middling three-point shooting and uncertain ballhandling make me suspicious. She could be the next Shavonte Zellous, though, and that would be fine.

Banham: Will her scoring be erased when she's guarded by taller, faster, quicker, stronger athletes? Or will she still find a way? I don't think anyone knows the answer to that ...

Boyette: Is consistency in her future, and have her demons really been put to rest? High, high ceiling if it all comes together, and note that her high school coach is now an assistant at Connecticut.

Powers: Wings who can't shoot threes are seldom stars in the WNBA, or even starters for good teams. I have serious doubts here.

South Florida Williams: Looks to be a solid contributor. Can shoot, has athleticism. Don't see her as a star, but maybe the safest pick after Stewart and Jefferson.

Jonquel Jones: Roll them dice ...

Ruth Hamblin: Jayne Appel is more athletic and more skilled. 'Nuf sed.

Kahleah Copper: Despite the CViv coaching, a possibility. Size matters.

Lexi Rydalch: I like the mean streak ... could surprise.

PostPosted: 03/31/16 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really like the Draymond Green comparison with Tuck. Tuck is a player who does a bit of everything. Connecticut's front court is going to have a lot of young talent this season.

PostPosted: 03/31/16 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty good summary ClayK as to why this draft is such a mystery. I suspect a few of these players will actually become solid, maybe even pretty good in the WNBA (aside from Stewart) while some won't last more than a season or two. The problem is you just don't know which ones. On top of that, we don't know for sure if Tuck or Powers will both enter the draft, though it looks a lot like Tuck will. This is the Mystery Draft of 2016.

Confused

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 03/31/16 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone who doesn't get talked about much, but I do like her as a player is Lexi Petersen out of Oregon. I saw her name on the draft roster on the Lynx's draft central, and was pleasantly surprised to see her there. She has pretty good shooting ability, and was a big reason for Oregon's NIT run. She's definitely not a first round pick, but I think she is worth the look in later rounds. One thing I can knock her on though is turnovers. She seems to have a lot a game.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/31/16 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

3 pt Champion Rachel Banham

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
MNfan22

PostPosted: 04/01/16 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
This is only my fourth draft that I have gone thru. It seems to me that the first round is the deepest in talent that I have seen. I am excited to see the top six pics are really going to help teams that need the talent and as a result is going to make the WNBA just better and interesting to watch.

Am I mistaken about this years draft. Would like to hear other views.

This is a good, deep draft.

Interesting. For those who think this draft is deep, define your meaning of "deep" ? Deep as in impact players? Or, deep as in potential to make rosters?

Personally, I don't find this draft to be all that deep. I find it to be top heavy of 1 and then filled with a lot of question marks and not deep with immediate impact players. IMO, most will take some time to show what they really have to bring to the pro table. And how quickly they will have an impact will be very dependent on where a players gets drafted. (which could be said of every draft I guess). Guess I'm just not feeling depth in '16.

Cap issues may bump some fringe vets to make space for cheaper rookies but guess I'll be content to be surprised by how successful this class will be as I'm not expecting much. Will be interesting to see what coaches do with them.

Personally I see more depth down the road that has my eye. I'm more excited about the talent and potential impact coming along in the next 2 drafts with the '17 class and top heavy impact in the '18 class.

PostPosted: 04/01/16 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
pilight wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
This is only my fourth draft that I have gone thru. It seems to me that the first round is the deepest in talent that I have seen. I am excited to see the top six pics are really going to help teams that need the talent and as a result is going to make the WNBA just better and interesting to watch.

Am I mistaken about this years draft. Would like to hear other views.

This is a good, deep draft.

Interesting. For those who think this draft is deep, define your meaning of "deep" ? Deep as in impact players? Or, deep as in potential to make rosters?

Personally, I don't find this draft to be all that deep. I find it to be top heavy of 1 and then filled with a lot of question marks and not deep with immediate impact players. IMO, most will take some time to show what they really have to bring to the pro table. And how quickly they will have an impact will be very dependent on where a players gets drafted. (which could be said of every draft I guess). Guess I'm just not feeling depth in '16.

Cap issues may bump some fringe vets to make space for cheaper rookies but guess I'll be content to be surprised by how successful this class will be as I'm not expecting much. Will be interesting to see what coaches do with them.

Personally I see more depth down the road that has my eye. I'm more excited about the talent and potential impact coming along in the next 2 drafts with the '17 class and top heavy impact in the '18 class.

Completely agree. It's not that deep. I don't know what people are looking at.

PostPosted: 04/01/16 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Besides 2001 and 1999 what wnba drafts have been deep
?lol
Maybe people mean deep in comparison to the last few drafts.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/01/16 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If plight has Weisner as a mid-first rounder, it's gotta be a deep draft, right? Wink

Shades

PostPosted: 04/01/16 1:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
?lol

2005 was thought as an ugly draft (McCarville #1 pick), but many of those players hung on for long careers.

2014 seemed kinda nice.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/01/16 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
?lol

2005 was thought as an ugly draft (McCarville #1 pick), but many of those players hung on for long careers.

2014 seemed kinda nice.

2004 was a nice, deep draft, with seven eventual All-Stars and several others who had nice careers.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/01/16 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
?lol

2004 was also a very strong draft. Several first round players had long, productive careers.

LosLynxAngeles

PostPosted: 04/01/16 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
?lol

2004 was also a very strong draft. Several first round players had long, productive careers.

i think 2013 has the possibility of being just as good as 2004.

out of 2004 you got Taurasi, and Whalen as the "stars"

then Beard, and Brunson had long successful careers.

Powell, Perkins, Christon, Hoffman, and Robinson had productive careers. but then other than that not a whole lot.

2013 has Delle Donne and Griner who unless something really bad happens, they are on their way to star careers.

Diggins, Messessmen, Bentley, and Bone have done well and definitely have the potential to be great.

Hill, Rogers, Hawkins, Goodrich, Greene, Faris are all at least still in the league after 3 years and have some potential if given the right opportunity.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 04/01/16 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting series of videos where Dan Hughes talks about the draft, and the kind of player he's looking for. Also interesting how he said they've been scouting the same small core of players from the beginning of the season to now. http://ow.ly/10bwEn

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/02/16 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK my penultimate mock, this time no Powers, yes Tuck

1. Sea Stewart
2. SA Jefferson
3. Conn Tuck
4. Conn Banham
5. Dallas C. Williams USF
6. LA Mitchell
7. Was Jones
8. PX Boyette
9. Ind Copper
10. Chi Hamblin
11. Atl Bulgak
12. NY Holmes

13. Atl N. Johnson
14. Minn Weisner
15. Conn Alston
16. Atl Alleyne
17. LA Graves
18. Dallas C. Williams A&M
19. Was Galdiera
20. PX C. Walker
21. Ind Cable
22. Minn Fagbenle
23. Conn Butler
24. NY S. Richards

zune69

PostPosted: 04/02/16 6:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
?lol

The 2009 draft class had some solid depth.

1 Atlanta Dream - Angel McCoughtry.3 finals app
2 Washington Mystics - Marissa Coleman.1 final app
3 Chicago Sky - Kristi Toliver.
4 Minnesota Lynx - Renee Montgomery.1 final app
5 Phoenix Mercury - DeWanna Bonner,2 finals app
6 Indiana Fever - Briann January.2 finals app
7 Sacramento Monarchs - Courtney Paris.1 wnba finals app
8 New York Liberty - Kia Vaughn
9 Minnesota Lynx - Quanitra Hollingsworth
10 Connecticut Sun - Chante Black
11 Detroit Shock - Shavonte Zellous.finals app

10 finals appearances & 4 championship from the 2009 1st rd class.

Last edited by zune69 on 04/02/16 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 04/02/16 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spooner, since pilight has showed a strong interest in Weisner, and I have shown a strong interest in bringing in a halfway decent post player, could you swap #11 and #14?

My ultimate Lynx draft under your scenario.
14. Bulgak
22. Knight
35. Hollivay

Last edited by Shades on 04/02/16 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 04/02/16 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I am San Antonio, and I can choose from Jefferson or Tuck, I would go with Tuck. This is a team in rebuild mode so taking Jefferson is very short sighted with Danielle Robinson back next year. For a year, Jia Perkins can certainly be a starter alongside Kayla McBride. Tuck gives them a presence on the wing they have needed for years and never had, or always chose against because of their guard heavy play.

PostPosted: 04/02/16 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm bored with the 2016 draft. (yawns) I've moved on to 2017. Anyone need a PG? This is the draft for you!

Shades

PostPosted: 04/02/16 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Interesting series of videos where Dan Hughes talks about the draft, and the kind of player he's looking for. Also interesting how he said they've been scouting the same small core of players from the beginning of the season to now. http://ow.ly/10bwEn

This is your team. Did you get much out of those videos?

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 04/02/16 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

This is your team. Did you get much out of those videos?
I'm thinking that the player selected won't be a big surprise. I think the "pool" he's referring to is probably Jefferson, Tuck, maybe Banham and Powers is she leaves. The Stars draft profile included those four, and Boyette and Mitchell. I don't think Mitchell or Boyette should get taken anywhere close to #2, but I'm sure he watched them a little during the season. I wouldn't expect anything crazy though.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/02/16 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConns Breanna Stewart wins 2016 Wade Trophy

http://wbca.org/about/press-releases/uconn%E2%80%99s-breanna-stewart-wins-2016-wade-trophy

Quote:
For the second-consecutive season, Breanna Stewart of the University of Connecticut is the winner of the 2016 Wade Trophy, the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) announced today. The prestigious award, regarded as "The Heisman of Women's Basketball," is presented annually to the NCAA Division I Player of the Year by the WBCA.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/16 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
If I am San Antonio, and I can choose from Jefferson or Tuck, I would go with Tuck. This is a team in rebuild mode so taking Jefferson is very short sighted with Danielle Robinson back next year. For a year, Jia Perkins can certainly be a starter alongside Kayla McBride. Tuck gives them a presence on the wing they have needed for years and never had, or always chose against because of their guard heavy play.

that's assuming Tuck's reoccurring knee problems don't continuously re-appear.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 04/03/16 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
taking Jefferson is very short sighted with Danielle Robinson back next year.

Nice play on words. Wink

You consider Tuck a 3-4? I suppose she'd almost have to be at the next level, but she ain't gonna be no Maya.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 04/03/16 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:
taking Jefferson is very short sighted with Danielle Robinson back next year.

Nice play on words. Wink

You consider Tuck a 3-4? I suppose she'd almost have to be at the next level, but she ain't gonna be no Maya.

I think taking Tuck over Jefferson would be a mistake. I dont think Tuck will be able to play the 3 at the next level. But I could be wrong. She reminds me of Asjah Jones, but a little more polished coming out. Don't get upset at me me for butchering her name lol. Running late for church. Very Happy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 48 of 63

Jump to: